How to Apply for Tax Exempt Status with Bandwidth


Miguel Benitez


Is your company tax exempt? Please be sure you have all of the proper certificates completed and submitted to our tax team to ensure your invoices reflect your exempt status.  

All of our tax forms are available on our Tax Exemption Directory page, where you may download exemption forms or view our Frequently Asked Questions page.  Many of our forms are powered by Adobe Sign, meaning you can complete the form in the web interface and click submit once you are finished.


For Federal Taxes:

  • If you are registered with the FCC as a re-seller (and have a 499 filer ID), be sure to complete and submit the Federal Universal Service Fund Certificate (FUSF) annually to retain your tax-exempt status.  These forms will need to be re-submitted each year to retain your exempt status.
  • Be sure to sign and date the forms where necessary, and on certificates that request your Billing/Provisioning  Account Numbers, please list all that apply.  Writing in “all” or leaving this section blank will render the forms invalid.  Your Billing Account Numbers are listed on the top right section of your invoices and your Provisioning Account Numbers are found in the top right of each subsection of your invoices.


For State Taxes:

All Bandwidth services, other than e911, are taxed based upon the service address.  To file for exemption, we require the Multi-Jurisdiction Forms or State Forms.

  1. First, open the Multi-Jurisdiction Exemption Certificate (MULTI) and check to see if your state’s service address is listed in the form.
    • If your service address' State is listed in the form, please complete and submit.
    • If not, please refer to the State-specific forms in the ‘State Forms’ section at the bottom of the page.
  2. Next, navigate back to the ‘Multi-Jurisdiction Forms’ section, and open both the Gross Receipts Exemption Certificate (GRT) and the State Universal Service Fund Certificate (SUSF) to see if your State is listed.  If applicable, please complete and submit these forms.


For e911 Taxes:

Taxes are determined by the location of the endpoint.

  • For customers with e911 services who are eligible for tax exemption, please complete and submit the 911 Exemption Certificate form.


For Invoices that do not reflect your exemption:

In the event that taxes have appeared on your invoice and you believe you should be tax exempt, please use the ‘Have questions?’ form.  

  • Be sure to include your Billing Account Number and list the specific taxes you feel you should be exempt from in the comments section, and we’ll check our records.  Once this has been sent, our tax team will get in touch with you to answer any questions, update forms, or to issue any appropriate credits to your account.
  • To learn more about how to dispute taxes on an invoice, refer to our video titled “How to Dispute a Charge.”

If you’re unsure if you should be exempt in a specific jurisdiction or you have more questions in regards to a specific tax rate, please contact the Department of Revenue.

Article is closed for comments.