How do I enable SMPP SMS and MM4 messaging in the Bandwidth Dashboard?Follow
With Bandwidth Messaging services, software developers and service providers can seamlessly enable Bandwidth Dashboard phone numbers to send and receive messages via SMPP and/or MM4 protocol.
Bandwidth supports MMS in both directions, inbound and outbound, over long codes. Once you're contracted for these services, please enable your Locations in order to begin utilizing your Bandwidth Dashboard phone numbers for messaging. If you're not contracted for these messaging features but would like to, please reach out to your Account Manager. Not sure who your Account Manager is? Please open a ticket with your Bandwidth Support Team or hit us up at (855) 864-7776!
To begin, perform the following steps:
- Log into the Bandwidth Dashboard.
- Select Account and click Locations.
- Select the Location you'd like to enable for messaging.
- Scroll down to SMS Settings and toggle the SMS Enabled switch on to display the available options.
- Toggle the Toll Free switch on if you want to enable toll-free SMS (will be greyed out if you're not contracted for it)
- Toggle Short Codes switch if you want to enable short codes (will be greyed out if you're not contracted for it)
- Under Geographic reach, select Zone(s) for routing.
Note: Zone 1 will be enabled by default, but you can configure the numbers on this Location for International SMS. Simply toggle the corresponding boxes on to enable international zones and Canadian SMS.
- Under SMS protocol, select SMPP.
- Under SMS IP addresses, enter the IPs. To add additional IPs for routing, click +add an IP address. You can also click Bulk Edit to enter IPs in bulk.
- Click the gear icon and select one of the following options:
- Transceiver - send/receive messages. This is recommended for proper DLR delivery.
- Sender Only - send messages only.
- Receiver Only - receive messages only.
- You can also create priority settings for each IP group. Bandwidth will use the highest weighted IP first.
Note: Looking to configure your SMPP connection for Bandwidth gateways? Check out this support article!
- Scroll down to MMS Settings and toggle the MMS Enabled switch on to display the available options.
- Under MMS Protocol, select MM4.
- Check the Transport layer security (TLS) checkbox to enable TLS. See setting up TLS for MM4 for more information.
- Under MM4 termination hosts, enter the IP addresses for outbound MMS.
- Under MM4 origination hosts, enter the IP addresses for inbound MMS. You can enter an IP or a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). However, if TLS is enabled, only FQDNs are accepted. You can also create priority settings for each IP group. Bandwidth will use the highest weighted IP first.
- If you subscribe to Canadian messaging, you can enable it under Geographic reach.
Note: Check out our MM4 Messaging (MMS) integration guide for more information.
The phone numbers on your Location are now enabled for messaging! Please repeat these steps for each Location in the Bandwidth Dashboard that needs messaging services.
Questions? Please open a ticket with your Bandwidth Support Team or hit us up at (855) 864-7776!
Was this article helpful?
3 out of 5 found this helpful
Article is closed for comments.