STIR/SHAKEN Transit Identity Header ServiceFollow
Configuration and testing guidelines
The deadline for service providers to comply with STIR/SHAKEN is June 30, 2021. As part of Bandwidth’s STIR/SHAKEN roadmap, we provide a Transit Identity Header Service. This feature allows approved STIR/SHAKEN service providers signing and verifying calls to use Bandwidth as an Intermediate Service Provider (ISP).
For inbound calls, we pass the Identity Header from the Originating Service Provider (OSP) to you for inbound calls. For outbound calls, we pass your created Identity Header to the Terminating Service Provider (TSP).
The Transit Identity Header Service is an optional feature that can be enabled in the Bandwidth Dashboard at no additional charge.
Important: Only approved STIR/SHAKEN service providers should select the Transit Identity Header Service option.
Enabling Transit Identity Header Service
The Transit Identity Header Service settings are configured per Location in the Bandwidth Dashboard. To enable this service:
- Log into the Bandwidth Dashboard.
- In the top right corner, click Account and select Locations.
- Scroll down to Origination Settings.
- Toggle the Transit Identity Header Service button to On. No additional action or configuration with Bandwidth is required.
Testing Transit Identity Header Service
Note: We recommend testing one Location before enabling it across all Locations.
- To begin, create a new test Location in your Bandwidth Dashboard account and order a Bandwidth phone number specifically for testing.
- Call the test number from another Bandwidth number in your production account (if available). An inbound call from a Bandwidth number using a Bandwidth number will receive the attestation level you assigned and will include the resulting headers.
- To date, we have performed STIR/SHAKEN interoperability testing with Verizon, Comcast, and T-Mobile/Sprint, so a test call from a number with any of these providers should result in the attestation level you assigned with the appropriate headers.
Additional STIR/SHAKEN resources
Note: STIR/SHAKEN is not deployed on legacy network devices, such as inbound/outbound gateways "Bandwidth 7", "Bandwidth 9", and "Bandwidth Edge" devices. Calls traversing these routes won't be signed. If you'd like to migrate to STIR/SHAKEN devices, please open a ticket with your Bandwidth Support Team or hit us up at (855) 864-7776!
Was this article helpful?
1 out of 3 found this helpful