What Is the Size Limit for MMS Files Text Messages?Follow
What is the size limit for text messages? Discover what the maximum MMS file size limit is for major US carriers.
|Total message size (including media)||External media||Stored media||Number of Attachments|
|Local MMS - HTTP||1000 characters (recommended) + 3.5 MB total of all media files per message||3.5 MB||3.5 MB (media)||Maximum 10 attachments|
|Toll-free MMS - HTTP or MM4||1000 characters (recommended) + 525 KB total of all media files per message||
HTTP: 525 KB
HTTP: 525 KB (media)
Maximum 10 attachments
|MM4||5MB total MM4 payload||n/a||n/a|
Note: If you're an HTTP customer, external media means you include a URL, and Bandwidth will fetch the content. Stored media means uploading content to the Bandwidth Application Platform media server. If you're an MM4 customer, you provide the content itself in the message payload. Check out our developer docs to learn more.
Important: Message size doesn't equal media size. Message size includes all the pieces of the message: headers, text, files, etc.
Below are some notes on the various message sizes accepted by US carriers:
- Message size less than 1 MB will be passed to AT&T without transcoding.
- Message size larger than 1 MB (up to 3 MB) will be transcoded and resized by the platform to a size limit it of 1 MB or lower and deliver it to AT&T.
- If the message cannot be resized by the transcoder to 1 MB or lower, then the message will be dropped by the platform.
- Verizon will accept message sizes up to 1.7MB.
- No resizing will be performed for messages destined for Verizon.
- If the message size is over 1.7 MB, the message will be dropped by the platform.
T-Mobile & Sprint
- T-Mobile will accept message sizes up to 3 MB.
- No resizing will be performed for messages destined for T-Mobile.
- If the message size is over 3 MB, the message will be dropped.
What are the MMS file size limits for the major carriers in the US?
|Carrier||Long Code||Short Code||Toll-Free|
|AT&T||1 MB||1 MB||525 KB|
|Verizon||1.2 MB||1.2 MB||525 KB|
|T-Mobile & Sprint||1 MB||1 MB||525 KB|
|US Cellular||500 KB||500 KB||525 KB|
Note: The file sizes above will generally be passed to the wireless carriers. However, due to the differences in handsets, file types, and transcoding, we recommend you send attachments no larger than 500 KB to ensure the best chance of delivery.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I programmatically find out the destination carrier's maximum file size for MMS messages?
No, not at this time.
What is the character limit for the text portion of MMS messages?
We recommend sending MMS messages with 1,000 characters or fewer in the text portion of the message for best deliverability.
Where can I find more information on toll-free MMS?
Check out our toll-free MMS FAQ or watch our Toll-Free MMS webinar for a deeper dive into toll-free MMS.
Was this article helpful?
28 out of 36 found this helpful
Article is closed for comments.