Tax exemptions FAQ


Miguel Benitez


In this article, we'll answer some of the frequently asked questions about applying for tax exemptions with Bandwidth. If you're looking for information on which forms you need to fill out and where to find them, please see how to apply for tax exemptions.

How often do I need to renew my exemption forms?

Please renew all of your exemption forms annually. This ensures that you're being exempted and taxed accurately. 

How do I know if my exemptions have been processed?

Please submit the completed exemptions to to generate a support ticket. A team member will provide a confirmation within that ticket once the exemptions have been processed.

Can I get all my accounts exempt?

Exemptions are applied at the Provisioning account level. To properly apply them, please provide all applicable Billing (Global) and Provisioning account numbers at the appropriate sections on each exemption form. 

What are my Billing and Provisioning account numbers?

Your Billing account number, also known as the Global account number, is the identifier starting with “BW-” found under Your Account section on the first page of your Bandwidth invoice. Your Provisioning account number(s) is found at the top of the account section(s) of your Bandwidth invoice where your account charges are grouped. These numbers come in a variety of formats, but most common ones are a five-digit number starting with 2 or a seven-digit number starting with 5. 

Why do I still see taxes on my invoice after submitting my exemptions?

There's no one universally accepted tax exemption form that covers all taxes, fees, and surcharges in all jurisdictions. To receive full exemption from Bandwidth, you must complete forms that cover all taxes and fees related to both your service address(es) and endpoint provisioning addresses, where applicable. Any added service or endpoint addresses that aren't covered by exemption forms on file will result in taxes, fees, and surcharges, where applicable.

If you feel that you're still being taxed incorrectly, please reach out to your Bandwidth Tax Team at

Can I backdate my exemptions?

No. Exemptions are effective as of the date submitted and accepted in good faith by Bandwidth. Exemptions can't be backdated, and any credits that result due to the exemption submissions are based on business practices outlined in your Master Service Agreement (MSA).

Can I get a credit for previously billed taxes, fees and surcharges?

For the majority of taxes, fees, and surcharges, credits are issued based on dispute terms outlined in your MSA. An exception is made for the Federal Universal Service Fund Certificate (FUSF) and related fees due to their nature. Those fees are credited going back to the beginning of the calendar year.

What is my 499 filer ID number?

The 499 filer ID is the number used in the filing of your FCC forms 499 A/Q. Please visit the USAC website for more information on how to obtain a 499 filer ID.

Where do I get the exemption number for each state?

In general, the exemption number is your registration or account number used in the filing of the tax or fee for which you're seeking exemption. For example, if you're seeking a sales tax exemption in North Carolina, you'll use your North Carolina sales tax account number. But if you're seeking a sales tax exemption in Rhode Island, you'll enter your FEIN, since the state of Rhode Island doesn't issue sales tax account numbers. If you’re unsure whether you should be exempt in a specific jurisdiction or have questions regarding a specific tax rate, please contact the Department of Revenue.

Questions? Please reach out to your Bandwidth Tax Team at

Article is closed for comments.